A healthy partner is essential to a happy and fulfilling relationship. When both partners are emotionally and mentally healthy, they can work together to build a strong and supportive partnership. A healthy partner will also respect your boundaries, communicate effectively, and make an effort to understand your needs and wants. It’s important to note that no one is perfect, and a healthy relationship requires effort and commitment from both partners.
signs of a healthy partner
1. They try to resolve conflicts directly, they don’t avoid problems in relationships.
2. They cope with feelings by processing their thoughts and feelings, not blaming themselves for how they feel.
3. They communicate directly when they have a problem or concern, rather than you “just needing to know” how they feel and what they need.
4. They show genuine interest in your thoughts and feelings. They consider how you feel.
5. They’re emotionally available, they can be vulnerable to share how they’re feeling and encourage you to do the same.
6. They can control their impulses instead of being reactive. They don’t make you responsible for managing your moods.
7. They set boundaries to communicate their preferences and this makes them feel safe and comfortable. If they need space, they can communicate that need directly, they don’t just disappear for a day.
8. They don’t get angry at you for raising your problems or concerns about the relationship, they don’t nag you, they are open to dialogue and listen to you.
9. Can act independently, not depending on you to take care of their needs and feelings.
10. They demonstrate a balance of asking for what you need while taking responsibility for meeting your needs.
11. They know that true intimacy requires difficult conversations that can be uncomfortable. They want you to share your feelings, they don’t want you to hold everything in to “keep the peace”.
12. They can respect your views and opinions, even if they don’t agree. They don’t try to convince you of their beliefs.